If You Will Be Filing A Tax Return, Do Not Forget To Include Your Benefit Statement With Your Tax Return

Your Benefit Statement is a tax form from Social Security that shows the total amount of Social Security benefits you received in the previous year. It is also referred to as an SSA-1099. You should report the amount of Social Security benefits you received to the Internal Revenue Service on your federal tax return.

The Benefit Statement is not available for people who only receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments because SSI payments are not taxed.

If you receive Social Security benefits, SSA mailed your Benefit Statement to the address on file with them. If you did not receive it, or if it was lost, you can get your SSA-1099 instantly online with your personal my Social Security account at: