If your child is disabled, you may already have unwieldy medical bills to pay. Your financial burden is undoubtedly onerous, and you may wish you had some way to help ease it so you can live without worry about medical debts.

If your child is disabled and under 18 years of age, you may be able to enroll in the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which provides monthly payments to the child based on need.

The rules for SSI disability benefits for children are complicated, but some basic rules apply:

  • The child’s family must meet certain financial criteria.
  • The child must have a qualifying physical disability or mental condition that seriously limits his or her activities.
  • The child must have been, or is expected to be, disabled for at least one year.

The Social Security Administration requires detailed information about its child applicants, their medical conditions and the financial resources available to them. Under the leadership of attorney John M. Pennington, the Pennington Law Firm, LLC, in Birmingham can help you gather this information, file an SSI claim and seek the maximum amount of benefits available to you.

Benefits For Disabled Adult Children

Your child may be eligible to receive other benefits, even after he or she has reached adulthood. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pays benefits to adults who have disabilities that began before they turned 22 years old. These benefits are considered “child” benefits because they are paid according to the parent’s Social Security earnings record.

For a disabled adult to receive these benefits, one of his or her parents must be receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits. Alternatively, the parent must have died and contributed to the Social Security system for a sufficient period of time.

These benefits are not time-sensitive. As long as your adult child remains disabled, he or she should be eligible to receive them.

Contact Us To Learn More About Children’s Disability Benefits

To learn more about federal disability benefits available to your child, contact our Alabama Social Security benefits lawyer at (205)314-5735. We handle all cases on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay us nothing unless we recover benefits for you.

Pennington Law Firm

Pennington Law Firm